Strand 3: Character Development: Hope, Aspiration and Courageous Advocacy
In this strand the inspector must explore:
- How well the school’s Christian vision supports the character and moral development of all pupils, giving them aspiration for themselves and hope for the communities of which they are a part.
- How well the school’s Christian vision inspires the whole school community to engage in social action and to be courageous advocates for change in their local, national and global communities.
In developing Character in Church school, school leaders are advised to use these self-evaluation questions when completing the SIAMS SEF:
a) To what extent does your school’s vision and its associated values develop aspiration in all pupils, giving them resilience to cope well when things are difficult and the perseverance to overcome barriers to their own learning and to make positive choices?
b) Do leaders make sure all pupils have curriculum opportunities to look beyond themselves, ask ‘big questions’ and think globally about life and develop an understanding of disadvantage, deprivation and the exploitation of the natural world? How effectively has the school explored and engaged in diocesan and other global companion/world church links?
c) How well does the school community connect its ethical and charitable activities to the school’s vision and associated values? Do leaders provide opportunities for all pupils to engage in social action and to understand how they can challenge injustice?
Recommended resources to support character development: Hope, Aspiration and Courageous Advocacy
• “HEARTSMART Primary PSHE Curriculum” – www.heartsmartprimary.com/
• JIGSAW PSHE Curriculum – www.jigsawpshe.com
• Global Neighbours school accreditation scheme
Equipping young people with the knowledge: skill and confident to act against inequality and work towards a world free of poverty. (Global Neighbours Handbook) www.christianaid.org.uk
• Global Explores
Explore the world from your whiteboard! Global Explorers is a fantastic, interactive teaching resource that will stimulate thinking about
global issues: www.christianaid.org.uk